For those interested in keeping abreast of the landmark articles up to 2009, take a look at the list of Top 100 EM articles that they compiled. This publication is made available for FREE through the Western Journal of Medicine in the article entitled: "The Colorado Compendium: An Article-Based Literature Review Program"
Go directly to West JEM article.
Selecting "Supporting Material" in the left column will download the 104-page PDF to your desktop.
They review some classics including:
- "The rational clinical examination. Is this patient having a myocardial infarction?" in JAMA 1998.
- "The International Registry of Acute Aortic Dissection (IRAD): new insights into an old disease" in JAMA 2000.
- "Evaluation of D-dimer in the diagnosis of suspected deep-vein thrombosis" in NEJM 2003.
- "The Canadian C-spine rule versus the NEXUS low-risk criteria in patients with trauma" in NEJM 2003.
- "Computed tomography of the head before lumbar puncture in adults with suspected meningitis" in NEJM 2001.
- Kuppermann N et al. Identification of children at very low risk of clinically-important brain injuries after head trauma: a prospective cohort study. Lancet. 2009 Oct 3;374(9696):1160-70.